Monday, January 05, 2009

I see what you're doing

Does anyone else notice the excessive coverage of Jett Travolta's death on the 24 hour news channels and entertainment shows? Disclaimer: I only know about the entertainment shows because they were playing at the gym.

Besides being tragic and sad, the death of a celebrity's child is newsworthy in America in 2009. But why the incessant coverage? I have an idea why.

I think that because the Travolta/Prestons are Scientologists, news programs are covering the story closely from the beginning in case there is an eventual connection (either real or contrived) between their religious practices and the condition(s) that resulted in his death.

Once that evil, terrible, big-mouthed, ignorant woman Nancy Grace gets her claws in this, it will get even worse. I hate her! (ooh! rage!)

What I don't like the way this is that this playing out in the media. As if they're setting us up to watch them blame a child's parents for his death...just in case it might be true. It's sensationalism, it's cruel and there's no place for it with what's really going on (that matters) in America this week.

But to shift gears for a moment, I do have some sugar for the NBC Nightly News crew. In case I haven't mentioned it, I love Brian Williams a little bit. And I know that the demographics of the people watching major network nightly news programs is a more senior crowd that my demographical checkbox, but I still like to watch Brian tell me about what's happening. Anyway, during tonight's broadcast they covered the Obama children starting their new school. Brian went on to say that would be the last they would cover the Obama girls unless there is compelling news about them. I thought this was very decent, noticeable because I'm not used to decency from the media.

See what Bri had to say at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/vp/28511761#28511761

Thus concludes today's tirade about American media.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

I find it really interesting that one of my last posts to this blog was me, ragging on the media. Is this my pastime?

8:17 PM  
Blogger jeepmama said...

Nancy Grace's show is worthless. Can't stand it and I'm not sure who actually watches it. Skin crawling now... ugh.

Brian, now... mmmmmmm. :)

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home